Tuesday, March 10, 2015

CARNAVAL

THIS DIDN'T POST AND I THOUGHT IT HAD I'M SORRY. I'M CURRENTLY WRITING A NEW POST ABOUT THIS PAST SATURDAy (yeah just the one day) BECAUSE IT WAS CRAZY. ANYWAYS... Here it is....

Trying not to be lame about updating. Failing. Starting off where we left off.
Saturday was Carnaval, a huge party celebrated throughout all of Spain by wearing bright costumes and having parades. And it. Was. Awesome! My group of friends chose to go as superheroes (the girls) and soldiers (the boys). There were also 5 who went as prison inmates. I went with three of my friends as Captain America (of course)! It was a super elaborate process. About two weeks ago we found a design of the costume, and we went to a fabric store. There they measured us and cut the fabric we would need. From there, the fabric went to my host grandma, who sewed my dress! Which was so sweet! Then on Friday night, I went to my friend Andreas house, and we made our shields and masks! So everything except for our shoes was homemade. 
On Saturday, I got up pretty late, and did my hair and makeup at my house. Then I went to my grandparents house to get my costume. Once I had it, I went to my friend Izzy's house. She didn't have a costume since when she came to Spain we all already had our costumes, so she just wore typical American clothes that Spanish people would NEVER wear (pin-striped skinny jeans and a leather jacket). When we were ready we went to the local for dinner. We stayed there until about 12:30am. Then we went to the club we were going dancing in that night. It was very fun! This club is one of my favorites, it's a 16+ club which means it's not just geared towards the really drunk people, there's an upstairs part with a foosball table and a pool table, and we normally hang out up there when we get tired of dancing down below. I stayed there until around 4:30am and then went home. All in all it was a very fun night. 
This past week was Semana Blanca (like ski week in the states). None of my friends were going skiing though, and since it's not really my favorite thing (I prefer snowboarding), I didn't go either. One not so great thing about where I live is that I don't live in town, I live about ten minutes from the actual town, it takes about an hour and a half to walk there, and people here drive so crazily I'm so afraid to bike on the roads (mountain biking though, ayy). Anyways, when my host dad was working those two days, I was alone in the house, with no way of getting to town. I tried to keep busy, I ended up catching up on sleep, and studying Spanish. Ethan and I started taking a Spanish class once a week, which has really helped a lot I think because in day to day life, people normally don't correct our Spanish. As long as they understand us, they don't say anything, which is nice because it helps make us feel more normal, but doesn't help us learn. My host parents and my close friends correct me (because I ask them to), but teachers and other spaniards really don't. Anyways, I had quite a bit of homework to do for my class so I kept busy by working on that, and finishing a project for my English class at school. 
On Wednesday I stayed home in the morning with my host mom, and in the afternoon I went to Jaca for Spanish class (and guess what? I forgot the homework I'd done at home!), and after class Izzy met us and we went ice skating! It was really enjoyable! 
On Thursday, my host mom and I went shopping in a city about two hours away, which was really fun! 
On Friday, my host dad was working and my host mom went to visit her parents in a city about an hour away from where I live, but I stayed up since she had left by the time I woke up. Once again I was alone in my home, with all of my homework done :(. I watched the Spanish news and then some Spanish sitcom which occasionally I find funny. I prepared dinner for myself (just some salad and cheese) and tried to go to bed early. 
Today (Saturday), Ethan, Olga (my host mom), Ethan's host mom and I travelled to a place near Zaragoza to meet up with other Rotary students and Rotarians and go watch birds at this lake and stuff (there really wasn't much more to it) (it was pretty boring) (but we were ok with it because whenever exchange students get together it's fun). It was a really fun day! 
Sunday I slept and watched movies with my host mom and Monday I started school again :( 
On Friday, I went out with my friends, which was really fun. On Saturday I hung out with Ethan, we walked around Jaca, and ate reallllly gross pizza. Pizza that was so gross it made me miss Little Caesars. On Sunday I slept and watched movies and spent time with my host mom (I think I do that every Sunday haha). 
I went to school Monday and Tuesday, and today I felt really sick so I stayed home. And here I am writing.  That's it. Hopefully I'll update soon! But with me who really knows. Hasta luego! (: P.S the pictures are all just from the adventure with the other exchangers. The first picture is a creepy giraffe playground my friend Izzy and I found in our town.














No comments:

Post a Comment