Monday, September 8, 2014

Airplane Blogging

So I am blogging from my first flight: SFO to JFK. I am so sorry, because I really wanted to start this blog a few weeks ago with a quick post about what kind of things I'll post on here, but the last few weeks have been exponentially busy, and I truly have just not had the time. I definitely overestimated the time that I had left in the USA, and because of that, I feel as though I did not say goodbye to everyone that I would have liked to. Which is sad, but also okay, because I will see you all in a year. And that is okay. To anyone who I did not have the opportunity to say goodbye to, goodbye, I love you, hasta luego. 
So this blog, as I am sure you have guessed by the title, is my exchange blog for my year abroad in Spain. I am going to try my absolute best to keep you all updated on here about what I am doing, how I am doing, etc, so that you all can live my exchange with me.
A little bit about the program. I am studying abroad with an organization called Rotary International. Rotary is pretty amazing in that their one mission is to help people worldwide, they help people in other countries, but they also help people in our country, and one of those ways is the Rotary Youth Exchange Program. They send teens between the ages of 16 and 18 to other countries for almost an entire year, giving them the most amazing experience of their lifetimes. Rotary is truly amazing, and Rotarians are some of the most generous and kind people I have ever met. I am so grateful of them, and also to the program itself. 
One thing they tell you when you become an exchange student with Rotary is that you are not a Rotary Exchange Student until the doors on your plane close. When I was first accepted, the idea that such a wonderful thing could be so easily swept right out from beneath my feet was absolutely terrifying. Now that my plane doors have officially closed, it's easier to see their intentions with that statement. Rotary is recognized worldwide, and their reputation is important. So as a RYE student, it's super important to represent them well. Now that I can say that I am officially a Rotary student exchanger, I must way that I am so proud to wear my blazer and that title. 
Yesterday was muy difícil. Saying goodbye to my friends at lunch and my family at dinner. Goodbyes are hard. That's all that I can really say about that. But I know that next year when I come home I'll annoy all of my friends so much that they wish that I had just stayed on exchange forever. 
Also, if this seems a tiny bit all over the place or hard to understand, it would most likely be because Chance and I stayed up last night watching a movie until midnight, which doesn't seem too late until you factor in the fact that we needed to wake up at 1:30 in order to leave for San Francisco. So I am the tiniest bit tired. But way too excited to sleep.
In case I haven't blabbed on to you yet about what exactly I'll be doing this year, I'll give you all a little bit of info. I will be living in a small town in Northern Spain (in the Pyrenees), named Sabiñánigo, or Sabi works too. I will be attending a small high school called IES San Alberto Magno. I have a host sister, who is currently on exchange in Colorado, a host mom (Olga) and a host dad (Jose). I get to meet them in about 15 hours, which is soo scary, but so exciting too!! I'm just so excited, and I know that this will be a truly unforgettable year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment