Wednesday, September 10, 2014

When Things Don't Go As Planned


I just wrote this whole post out... And then I went to get the pictures for it and it deleted the whole thing.... So this is not going to be as long, but I'll try to make up for it tomorrow with a much longer post.
Today, I woke up to my host dad knocking on my door and informing me that it was one o'clock I
in the afternoon. I checked my phone and he was right, I had overslept quite a bit. My host mom had already gone to get Maria and Amdrea, so we couldn't go to Jaca. Another day though.
I started to get ready to meet them, and I took my first Spanish shower... Which is really no different than an American one but it was still exciting for me.
Very soon they arrived, and they are absolutely wonderful! We walked around my house for a while, and they are both very talkative. Also they speak very quickly, so it was hard for me to understand, but it was okay, and I was able to recognize some of what they were saying and respond to their questions. They are both very nice! They also helped me learn new words, Maria speaks some English and if she didn't know the word in English they would act it out. It was very helpful. We walked around for a while, and then my host dad met us and we got drinks at a little restaurant type place nearby. Then we went home, and lunch was ready. We had seafood paella (to continue with the theme of "típica España"), and it was absolutely delicious! During siesta, Maria Andrea and I sat outside and talked about which movies we like, our friends, and our favorite music. They showed me some Spanish music that they like, and asked me to show them a song. I played one by Rebelution (típica California), and they enjoyed it quite a bit! 
Afterwards, we went swimming. Maria and I swam for a little while, but it was very cold, so we got out and sat on the pavement near the pool with Andrea and talked some more. They invited me to come to Sabi with them and meet some of their friends, and my host parents said that it would be okay, so we went back to my house to change and get ready. 
When we got to Sabi (my first time being there except for the supermarket yesterday), we walked around on the main street trying to find their friends. Eventually we found them hanging out on some stairs. It was a huge group, 15 to 20 people, which I guess is a normal occurrence. It's very different because I'm used to 8 or 9 people being a large group. After I met everyone (a kiss on each cheek), we walked to a nearby park. Everyone talked a lot, very quickly, and all at once, so it was very very difficult to understand, but I picked up on some of it. I am noticing myself recognizing more words, even than just yesterday. It's amazing. Some of them tried speaking English with me, and I subconsciously began speaking a mixture of Spanish and English. It was difficult to switch my mind from Spanish mode to English. That's progress I think.
My host dad came to get me around 9, and I went home to eat dinner. We had salmon, salad and French fries. It was very yummy. All of the food here is delicious, I love it so much! Now I am watching a Spanish soap with my host mom, and I will go to bed soon. But don't worry, I will set an alarm this time. Tomorrow I am going to go running in the morning! For the first time since I got to Spain! 
Hasta pronto, Zeph(:
Andrea is on the left, and Maria on the right.
Paella(:

No comments:

Post a Comment