Saturday, September 20, 2014

Meeting the Extended Host Family

I have a couple of days to write about.... But first I have exciting news! My host mom introduces me as her American daughter!!!! I don't know if that matters to you people, but to me it's completely awesome. I really feel like I'm a part of this family.
In other news, yesterday it had my second day of school, which was fairly unexciting except for the fact that I had my first English class! Yay! I actually understood what was going on! I've gotta tell you, knowing more than the professor of a class in her subject is a very strange feeling. It was fun though, and she almost understood everything I said when she asked me about where I live. Also something exciting about school yesterday, on Fridays, I get out one hour early! I don't actually know what this will mean for me, since I take the bus home, but probably it will mean that I'll hang out with my friends for an hour at a nearby park. Which isn't really too bad at all(: 
After school, I went home, had lunch with my family, had siesta, and then went back to Sabi around 5:30 to hang out with my friends. We went to a park for a while, and I realized that I had a deck of cards in my purse so I pulled them out and asked them if they wanted to play a game. Here, American cards are only used for poker, and there are Spanish playing cards that they use. So they were pretty excited to learn an American game. We were a big group, so I taught them BS, which is one of my favorite games. It was very fun, and they actually really got into it. 
After we were done at the park, we went to the concrete park I've talked about. Or the "sitio sucio" in case Maria is reading this. I impressed my friends with some awesome card tricks. They figured out about half of my favorite trick, so at least the other part of it is still impressive. Two of my friends also did a magic trick for me, and eventually they told me how to do it and can I just tell you it is a cheap trick. But whatever. After we were done there, a few of us went to Maria's house, where our parents were having dinner. Maria made us dinner, and then we hung out until almost one AM. It was really super fun, we talked for a while, drank tea, and ended up piling onto Maria's bed (I think there were 4 of us on a twin sized bed) and listening to music and singing to it. It was really enjoyable. 
This morning I slept in until almost eleven. I quickly ate breakfast and got dressed, because my host mom and I were going to Huesca so that I could meet her family. We left around 12, and got there around 12:45. We met her sister at a cafe, and she called me her "sobrina Americana" it was really sweet. Then we walked around the city for a while, I got some new school supplies, and then we went to a clothes store. I bought a really cute pair of jeans, a few shirts, a cardigan sweater and a new wallet (which I was desperately in need of). One thing that I think is funny about the style here, is that a very common thing is to wear a shirt with words in English on it. However many people do not even know what their shirt says. I suppose that we do this with other countries languages in the United States, it's just weird being on the understanding side of it. I found a couple of shirts that had English quotes on them that I liked... Though no one else here can really appreciate them... 
After I finished shopping, we went to my host grandparent's house. They are really really nice, and my host grandpa made us lunch. We had tomatoes with tuna and hard boiled egg (I know it sounds gross but it was actually really good), green beans, and salmon steaks. It was all very delicious. After lunch, we watched an movie called nine days (which I actually really enjoyed), and my host mom and host aunt fell asleep (i was too into the movie to fall asleep), and after that, we left. I was really tired, so instead of trying to track down my friends, I went home. My host parents walked to a nearby bar to relax a bit, and I decided to stay home, put on some music, straighten up my room, and relax a bit in my own way. It was really nice. After that, my host dad went out for dinner with some friends, and my host mom and I had dinner here. We just had pizza and salad, but it was delicioussss. 
Now I am drinking peppermint tea and watching a Denzel Washington movie with my host mom. So far it is very good! 
Thanks for reading! I'll update soon hopefully! 
Hasta pronto, Zeph (:

1 comment:

  1. So enjoyable to read of your adventures. I like how tea is so popular there! I laughed thinking about you in English class. I've heard about how math is a universal language, so I was cool to see your experience with that. I love reading your blog because I can totally hear your voice in my head, and I miss you! :) What a grand adventure....your host family sounds like they really have adopted you into their home and life! Wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete